Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Stuffed French Toast

For years now I have not liked syrup on any of my breakfast foods. The smell of it alone can turn me away from the table. But eating pancakes dry isn't an option either. So, in my quest for something different, something sweet without the syrupy smell, I created a sauce that works great. Now it seems I-HOP has the same idea... or at least part of it at any rate. But I'm biased... I prefer my own method since it's made by scratch in a kitchen I can be in.



1 egg per serving, beaten
1 tsp Half & Half per serving
Cinnamon
Jiffy/Bisquick Baking Mix, amount really depends on amount of people serving
2 pieces Honey Bread per person (or any thick cut bread)
1 tbs Cream Cheese per person
1 tbs jelly, jam or preserves per person (I used Blue Berry Preserves in this one)

1) Heat griddle or skillet to medium. Either spray pan with butter flavored spray or use butter/margarine in pan... even if it's a "non-stick". Honey bread tends to stick otherwise.

2) In bowl big enough to lay out bread, beat egg, cream and cinnamon (to taste) together. Add about 1 tsp of the baking mix at a time, blending well, until a pancake batter consistency forms.

3) Dip bread in batter and coat well. I like to let mine soak about a minute to absorb the liquid. Then place in skillet. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn and flip when its golden brown. Repeat for the other side.

4) Meanwhile, In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and preserves until blended well.

5) Once the bread is golden brown on both sides, remove to plate. Spread cream cheese mixture on one side of both pieces of bread, and put them together to form a sandwich.

6) Sprinkle with powdered sugar and more cinnamon if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment