Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Banana Nut Bread

Oh my... the smell of Banana Nut Bread baking... it just fills the house with such pleasant aromas! It reminds me of days long gone, growing up with a baker across the street from me. I'm surprised I made it out of childhood without weighing a ton! That woman could really bake! Not sure how I came out not being able to bake if my life depended on it though.

It seems that up until just recently, every time I tried to bake ANYTHING, it would come out hollow, burnt, raw or so nasty the family dog wouldn't touch it. This is using pre-boxed treats like cookies, brownies, cakes. I even tried using a bread machine (5 different kinds) to come out with hollow breads.

In the last few months though, it seems all those early years are finally catching up with me. I have come up with a wonderful bread that isn't hollow and even tastes fantastic. A good friend of mine has even used the recipe to create it in her own home. I'm so surprised that it came out well (like Ive said before, I'm SO NOT the baker) that I thought my readers would like to give it a go.





2 1/4 cup Jiffy Baking Mix (Bisquick works as well)
8oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 cup Banana, mashed (about 2) ( my family likes it with more banana so I will use 2 cups!)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Nuts, chopped (use an extra cup for those nutty folks in the family tree!)

1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease pan(s) and set aside.

2) In large bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar and butter. Add banana then egg. Mix in remaining ingredients. Blend well. 

3) Pour into pans and bake uncovered:
Large Loaf: 55-70 minutes
Small Loaf: 40-55 minutes
Until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack.

OPTIONAL
Smother top in icing, let set before slicing.

Basic Icing:
Pour about a cup of powdered sugar into medium bowl. Add a tablespoon of water at a time,  while whisking, until you get the proper consistency needed. Play around with sugar and water amounts to fit your needs. If you want a good twist, add in a dash of vanilla or orange extract!

No comments:

Post a Comment