Here is one a friend of mine sent and living out here, of course we had to switch some of the ingredients around. I am only able to find zucchini from time to time and most of the time its not of a quality I would purchase, much less try to eat. So, instead of zucchini I would use the large portebellas. They flavor up well and soak up all the flavors of the sauce and meat. This recipe will serve between 6-8 folks.
1lb bulk Sausage (any variety)
1/2lb ground Beef
1 Zucchini, thin sliced
1 cup sliced Mushrooms
1 tbsp Flour
4 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 tbsp dried Oregano
1 tbsp fresh Basil, chopped fine
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup Milk
1lb Pasta, cooked, drained (any variety will do, but the mini bow ties just look so cute in this dish)
2 1/2 cup Mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan
1 cup Colby, shredded
1) Preheat oven to 350. Line 13x9x2" pan in *foil or spray it with pam.
2) In large skillet, crumble and brown all meat, remove meat from pan to paper towels. In pan drippings add flour and stir to combine. Add tomato sauce, spices and milk. Stir well and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add pasta, and stir.
3) In pan, layer zucchini to cover bottom. Layer in meat. Layer in mushrooms. Sprinkle 2 cups of the mozzarella, 1/2 cup of the colby and parmesan. Add pasta mixture. On top sprinkle remaining cheese. Place in hot oven and bake 25 minutes until bubbly.
4) To serve, garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan!
* Lining your pans in foil help to keep the clean up super simple.