Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Herbed Potato Gnocchi

The first time I went looking for pre packaged Gnocchi, I had the store attendant stand there looking blankly at me. Never before had this store in far West Texas ever heard of this classic Italian staple. After shopping in 3 different stores... in two different towns, I did finally find some... at a HUGE price. Almost 5 dollars for a pound! This just simply won't do. After all, it has all of 3 main ingredients.

Back to the internet for me. I found many versions of it, but none that had my mouth watering, so I finally figured I was going to have to come up with my own, Texas version of it. The recipe below makes about 4 servings.


2 Potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp Basil, chopped or dried
1/2 tsp Sage, ground
1 tsp Rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp Thyme, ground
1/2 tsp Oregano, dried

1) Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain, mash and let cool completely.



2) Combine cooled potatoes, flour, egg and spices. Knead until dough begins to hold form. Add more flour as needed.


3) taking only small amounts of dough, begin shaping into long "snakes" by pressing from the center out. You want it to be about 1/2" across the top by about 1/4" thick. Then slice into 1/2" pieces.

4) Bring a pot of salted water to boil and drop in enough gnocchi pieces to cover the bottom in one layer. Let these boil for 3-4 minutes until they float to the top. Remove one and cut into it to make sure it has cooked through.

I serve this with an Italian Red Sauce, Pesto Sauce or plain Garlic Butter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment