This may take a bit of time, but it's definitely worth it. I found this recipe while surfing the web but was unable to find all the correct ingredients to make it a "sausage roll". So Instead, its a simple beef roll with a bit of spice.
1/2 tb Olive Oil
1/2 small Red Onion, chopped fine
1/4 tsp Dry Thyme
1 slice Bread, minus the crust OR 1 tbs plain bread crumbs
1/2lb Ground Beef
1/2 Tomato, chopped
2 Celery Stalks, chopped fine
2 tbs Parmesan Cheese
1 pkg Pre-made Pizza Dough
1 Egg, slightly beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste
1) In skillet, heat oil and brown meat. Remove meat to paper towel to drain, reserving oils in skillet.
2) To skillet oils, add and saute onion, celery, and tomato with thyme until onion is tender, add to meat.
3) In processor (or in a blender like me if you do not have one), make bread crumbs then add the meat mixture in spoon fulls. Pulse to combine. Check flavor for salt and pepper.
4) Spoon into plastic ziplock bag and refridgerate over night. This will make the next process easier.
THE NEXT DAY
5) Preheat oven to 400.
6) Roll out pizza dough to about 15x15" cut in half using a pizza cutter (save half for future use).
7) Form meat mixture into a roll down the center longwise. Sprinkle red pepper flakes down line of meat, using as much as you like for heat, remember though that red pepper heats up when cooked.
8) CAREFULLY wrap the edges of the dough around the meat. Using sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into half then cut each half in half, making four rolls. Using fork, gently poke holes in top to allow steam to escape. Gently place on foil lined pan and brush with egg.
9) Bake, uncovered 15-20 minutes until it turns a nice golden color. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.